Saturday, June 25, 2011

PTI Blog Hop - June 2011 - My Play Garden

Here we are at another Blog Hop for Papertrey Ink. This month Nicole Heady gave us an inspiration photo to work with. You can read all the details here


The hanging dresses in this playroom look like princess costumes - something a little girl would use to play dress-up - with layers and layers of ruffly tulle. When I first saw this photo, I immediately thought of flowers. So I set out to make some.


I started with a six inch length of sheer, white polka dot  ribbon from Michaels and ran a gathering stitch down the middle - pulled tightly and doubled it up around a silk ribbon flower in colors of PTI - Harvest Gold, Sweet Blush, Spring Rain and Raspberry Fizz. Okay, but it needed more color. So out came the Copics and I colored the ribbon to match. The stems and leaves are from Flower Fusion #2 and remind me of the storage boxes on the floor in the photo.
The background was inspired by Jessica Witty and her "You Color My World" project from the PTI June release. The inspiration was - use watercolors. It doesn't look anything like her gorgeous work of art. I used Crayola watercolor paints that I have here for our grandchildren and just made stripes of the various colors, trying to blend colors to match the photo as best as possible. At first I had tried Copics in PTI trio colors, but the result was dark and almost muddy in comparison. My paints were more pastel. I inverted the order of the colors so that the greens are at the bottom and the blue is at the top - grass and sky in my little Play Garden.

The Sentiment is from Happy Trails and the tiny dragon fly is from Places, Please. I thought it more in proportion with this project. There's also a pretty one in Wishing You which I may use with the trails for other designs. White cardstock, True Black and Ripe Avocado inks by PTI.
I'm sure this will go to one of the dear granddaughters.

Hope you enjoyed your stop. I'm off to see all your incredible interpretations of this inspiration photo.
Thanks for hopping by.

42 comments:

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Great sentiment and love how you used the color up the page, Jessica's card is a fun one, will have to keep that in mind.

Desw2331 said...

Beautiful!

arlyn mason said...

love the flowers! cool card!

Marlena M. said...

I really love the way your colors go up diagonally. The flowers are STUNNING! ;)

Suzanne said...

WOW how great are those flowers?! Those are gorgeous - perfect for this challenge!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Great job on the watercoloring, and I'm so gad it turned out better for you than the Copics :)

Marge said...

A TOTAL W - O - W in every way!!!

Sue Lelli said...

Linda, your card is GORGEOUS! LOVE the flowers and the layers of color with the sentiment! FAB card!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

This is gorgeous LInda! Love the flowers.

C said...

Flower love! Great idea to copic color the ribbon! I'm so casing that idea!!

Lynn Put said...

Such a pretty card! Love the 3D flowers and watercolored background!

Ally said...

Oh, I just LOVE it! Those little flowers are so adorable, and the flower fusion stems are perfect. Very clever on the copic-colored ribbons, and I love the diagonal of blending colors. Fabulous! ;-)

Terri said...

Great job! Love the flowers and the background goes perfectly with them too!

Lisa Elton said...

Wow Linda this is darling!!! I adore those sweet little flowers!!!

Jill said...

Linda, I love your flower idea! Very clever and the end result is sooo soft and pretty! Thank you for explaining how you made them because I sure do want to give it a try! Terrific little background too--I think it's a great take on Jessica's idea! Lovely! Happy Hopping!

Karen C. said...

Love the soft pastel background. I tried a similar approach with copics and fave up on that idea!! You've created such a sweet scene and those little tulle flowers are priceless!!

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

WOW - Your flowers are absolutely awesome! SO BEAUTIFUL!!! + What a great take on the challenge picture! Love it!

Laura Isham said...

Oh my GOSH, Linda! This card is so beautiful! I absolutely LOVE you take on the challenge and all of details you subtly included. It is truly a piece of art.

Unknown said...

Beautiful work, simply beautiful!

Ravengirl said...

This is lovely! I really like the diagonal splash of color!

A Crafty Person said...

Lovely card.

Wendy ten Hove said...

This is soooo pretty! love the painted colors on the background and then the lovely flowers there. Very very nice!!
Hugs, Wendy

Jen Caputo said...

Oh this is sooo pretty. I love the swatches of color behind your beautiful tulle flowers. Awesome!

Jen Adcock said...

Beyond cool. I just love those flowers. Divine. FF#2 is now on my list as those stems are lovely. The wonderful horizontal wash of color is quite divine as well. Gorgeous card!

Teresa Kline said...

wow, this is amazing!

enjoy *~*

DF said...

Gorgeous flowers you created!

Brenda said...

I love your pretty flowers and that splash of watercolor in the background, beautiful!

jen said...

love the way you used the watercolors (which look GREAT!) in the middle- and the dragonfly addition!! so pretty!

Gina said...

I love the flowers you made and the watercolor background is lovely as well. A beautiful take on the inspiration photo!

Lee said...

The watercolours are so pretty and the flowers are beautiful.

Taheerah said...

This is just gorgeous Linda!! Those little flowers are so darling and your watercolour background is just perfect!!

Sue Ann said...

LOVE!!!!

Rebecca said...

simply stunning!

Cindy H. said...

This is just so soft and lovely!! I really, really like your take on the inspiration photo. Great job!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Lovely card Linda. The flowers are so pretty and the colors are perfect. The painted BG is awesome. Great take on the photo.

Tracey McNeely said...

Such a pretty card Linda.

Unknown said...

Oh you colored the ribbon, wow! And I love that splash of color behind it too, what a great composition!

Diane Jaquay said...

My goodness, this is SO STRIKING!!! I love how you designed this card, Linda!!!

Cammie said...

LOVE it! This is such a wonderful fresh approack to the inspiration photo.

Nerina said...

Linda, this is GORGEOUS! I can't believe how you manage to give such a creative twist to the things you do! Simply beautiful!

Nerina said...

Hi Linda! I just wanted to pop in and wish you a wonderful 2012! I hope you're getting time with the people you love and are doing the things you love! HUGS!

Luies Malvia said...

I feel very thankful that I could read that awesome article. Thanks for sharing. Keep posting.
We also provide yahoo customer care services in USA & Canada. Feel free to contact us:
Yahoo Phone Contact