Saturday, July 17, 2010

Papertrey Peeps Challenge #11

Hi Peeps! I'm so excited to get back to creating and blogging. It's just a month since my mom broke the second hip and had a subsequent partial replacement. My thanks to everyone who sent prayers and thoughts of concern for her recuperation. She's done extremely well. For anyone not familiar, that's two in five months and the rehab is rough for her at 88. This is our week for our annual trek to Hershey, PA (The Sweetest Place on Earth!) for Quilt Odyssey. Our Granddaughter is here and we're going to try it. It's about an hour drive and we can get home easily if necessary.

Okay, back to creating. I finished this card for Nicole's Challenge #11:
This challenge is about "outside the comfort zone." It can be anything you want (a card, template, etc) and just about any type of style, technique, color combo, or whatever.. --just as long as it's not something you wouldn't normally do.

I have a really hard time working with multiple colors. I have the same problem with my fabrics for quilts. I can do three colors comfortably, after that it's a true *challenge*. This new challenge from Aspiring to Creativity had caught my attention and I thought I would use it as well. My other stumbling block is working with what I have. I start a project and then stop because I need to go shop for some silly embellishment (well maybe not always silly). So that rounded out my personal challenge. Work with what you have!!



And here's my card:



I began my process by looking though patterned papers that I own and came across this plaid (I l-o-v-e plaid!!) It has all the colors required. It's from DCWV Glitter Sweet Stack which is all about candy and other sweet stuff. The coordinates are from the Spring Glitter Matstack. I wanted a lollipop and that's where using what I have really entered the mix. After rummaging through shelves and boxes, I found the silky cord in a notions box and grabbed my trusty Copics in the necessary colors. A dab of color here and there and then coil it into the shape of those yummy All-day Suckers that are as much a work of art as a treat. Add some ribbons from Michaels and edging from my stash, a toothpick and some PTI Dark Chocolate CS mats and you have it! The sentiment is from Everyday Button Bits.

This was tons of fun. Thanks Nicole and ATC for the kick start to my mojo.
Hope you enjoy it, too. Thanks for dropping by.

20 comments:

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Your card is fabulous! What a yummy looking multi-colored sucker. Have fun in Hershey Town!

Sabrina said...

What a fabulous card with great creativity! Your lollipop idea using copics was an absolute stroke of genius. Thanks for participating in our first challenge.

Angy said...

so cute! This looks great - still trying to decide what stepping out of my box will be...

Terri said...

Great job. What a cool way to make that cute little lollipop. Love it! I am glad to hear your mom is home. I hope she continues to do well and you enjoy your day at the quilt festival!

Tigriswillreign said...

This card is gorgeous! The colors worked out perfectly on it and your creativity really shines through! Just stunning!

Ellie said...

Oh love that sweet treat & the colors look amazing!

Sharron said...

Lovely 'SWEET' card--and how creative! What a wonderful idea for the lollipop--it works perfectly with the plaid. Hope you have a fun trip!

Marinette-Scraptherapie said...

ta carte est vraiment magnifique, le choix des couleurs j'adore, une pure merveille, bravo

Laurie said...

So sweet Linda! I love how you added the little lollipop!

Kara said...

i love your plaid. i definitely need to try that!

Anonymous said...

This is brilliant! I have some of that silk cord, I wan to try this as soon as I get home" (on weekend shift right now)

Diane Jaquay said...

This is AWESOME!!! I remember having those lollipops as a kid when we went to the shore ;) Glad to hear your mom is doing well!

peggysue said...

I found these miniature lollipops at a candy store recently and wow, your creation looks just like one of them, I thought it was the real deal. GREAT project!

Teresa said...

What a sweet card. I love the lollipop that you created!What a clever idea!

Jill said...

Awesome and delicious card, Linda! Your lollipop embellie is GENIUS! So, so clever. I love this card--I'd give you a lollipop for it, but you already have one! ;-D

Danisha said...

This is sooooo flippin cute!!! Love it! Hope your mom gets better soon!

Nerina said...

This is AMAZING Linda! I can't believe how you made the lollipop - that is *so* clever! You really did a great job incorporating all of the colours in the "Aspiring to Creativity" challenge - what a great way to step out of your comfort zone!

Cammie said...

Linda, this is too cute and you are just too clever! That lollipop is fantastic! Way to meet these challenges! I hope you enjoy your visit to Hershey and your mother continues to mend.

Marge said...

LOVE that lollipop!!!

Ted said...

Love the colors but also how YOU arranged them. :)