Sunday, May 15, 2011

Papertrey Ink - Make it Monday #14 - Selective Inking

This week's technique was selective inking. You can view the video and information here.


This card involved a lot of trial and error. I used the technique twice. The first was on the sentiment stamp. Part is stamped on the front panel and the rest is on the inside on the Rustic Cream card base. That was easy. I've done that before. The second is the thread coming off the spool and through the needle. (You might want to click on the photo to see the detail better.) I wanted the longer, looped thread that is used on the "Handmade by" needle stamp. I inked part of the thread on the spool stamp and then part on the needle stamp. I practiced lining them up quite a few times and then stamped on the PP panel using Smokey Shadow. Didn't like that because the thread disappeared in the background. So I stamped the whole thing on Neenah white, colored it and cut it out. Yuck, that looked terrible. So back to the drawing, er stamping board and stamped in two parts -- Lavender Moon on the Pretty Pastels panel and Smokey Shadow on the white. I colored just the spool and cut that out. The needle was now lavender, so redid that and embossed with silver powder, cut out and adhered over the original on the panel. I used a craft knife to cut around the curve of the thread and slipped the Kraft Button Card under. By the time I was finished, I'd gotten pretty good at selective inking. I guess that's the point of this whole thing. Thanks Erin Lincoln!

All supplies, except lace trim from a fabric store, are PTI. The stamps are from Quilter's Sampler and Button Boutique.

5 comments:

Carol's Ink Spot said...

A job well done! Very pretty card.

Lisa Elton said...

Very sweet little card,great job!

Janelle said...

Great job through all the trial and error, Linda. Great idea to use those two sets together, too! (I'm having one of those, "why didn't I think of that?" moments...) :)

frontierwoman said...

Beautiful card--love the simplicity of it, which makes it very elegant. I had to read you post twice to understand that the spool is colored--nice job! It looks very realistic.

Terri said...

Great job! The spool of thread and sentiment goes perfectly with the button card.